Thursday, June 13, 2013

Unit 2- Kinematics: The Study of Motion

This photo represents unit 2 because in unit 2 we learned all about motion, and in this photo my friend is walking, and in motion. We learned about how all motion is relative and that motion depends on the object and what it is relative to. For example, my friend in this photo appears to be walking fast relative to me, who is standing still. Relative to a person who was walking faster than her, she would be considered slow.
 Scalars are a number that has magnitude. Ex. My friend is moving 8 meters.
Vectors have magnitude and direction. Ex. My friend's vector is that she is moving 8 meters towards the street. We learned about how vectors have displacement. Displacement is different from distance. Distance is the total length of the actual path. Her distance would be 16 meters. Displacement is change in position. For example my friend started where I was standing, and walked to where she is standing in the picture which is 8 meters away. If she came back to exactly where she started her displacement would be 0, because she would be going back to exactly where she started. To the place she is in the photo is positive  coming back to where she started is negative, so the 8 m cancel each other out and result in 0.
Instantaneous Speed- the speed you are going at any given distance. My friends speed could be 10 mph, but its the speed she is traveling at right then.
Velocity- average speed, speed with direction. I can find my friends average speed by using the formula V= distance/ time.




6 comments:

  1. I like how clear and understandable your explanation is for motion and how it is relative. It is also great that you include all the keywords in your explanation and then you define them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used this picture do describe motion and i like your explanation. I also like how you provided provided vocabulary with the definition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job of explaining what your friend is doing in the picture by using the scalar and vector quantities. You did a good job defining words that are important. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you looked at all aspects of Unit 2 that we observed. Also I like how you incorporated lots of examples to describe each aspect of Unit 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on explaining what we went over yesterday, especially because you covered everything we did with a lot of examples and without making me read a gigantic block of text :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you summarized most of the things that we learned in Unit 2. You did a great job of telling us how this picture relates to what we are learning and I liked how you went into great detail of explaining the definitions.

    ReplyDelete